Prince Edward Island Museum and Heritage Foundation

08_Charlottetown_market_houses_p_27-32.pdf

Description

View


View Document

MetaData

title Charlottetown Market Houses: 1813 - 1958
creator Cullen, Mary K.
subject Island Magazine
subject Prince Edward Island Museum
description Markets came late to Charlottetown. The few hundred people who formed the population of the village before 1800 depended on British imports and the produce of their own gardens to maintain their families. A site for a market had been reserved at the waterfront when the town was laid out in 1768, but building was delayed for several reasons. Provision for administrative and judicial accommodation took precedence in planning public buildings. Farmers, moreover, required time to establish themselves before producing a marketable surplus; and once established they needed roads to bring their goods into town. Thus, it was only after a Court House and Assembly building had been constructed in 1812 that attention was focussed on a market house to end the precarious supply afforded by the irregular visits of country vendors. The 1813 market was the first of four buildings which were to serve the Island capital for the next 145 years.
publisher Prince Edward Island Museum
date 1979
type Document
format application/pdf
identifier vre:islemag-batch2-86
source 06
language en_US
rights Please note that this material is being presented for the sole purpose of research and private study. Any other use requires the permission of the copyright holder(s), and questions regarding copyright are the responsibility of the user.

Read Online

Object Details

View

MetaData

title Charlottetown Market Houses: 1813 - 1958
creator Cullen, Mary K.
subject Island Magazine
subject Prince Edward Island Museum
description Markets came late to Charlottetown. The few hundred people who formed the population of the village before 1800 depended on British imports and the produce of their own gardens to maintain their families. A site for a market had been reserved at the waterfront when the town was laid out in 1768, but building was delayed for several reasons. Provision for administrative and judicial accommodation took precedence in planning public buildings. Farmers, moreover, required time to establish themselves before producing a marketable surplus; and once established they needed roads to bring their goods into town. Thus, it was only after a Court House and Assembly building had been constructed in 1812 that attention was focussed on a market house to end the precarious supply afforded by the irregular visits of country vendors. The 1813 market was the first of four buildings which were to serve the Island capital for the next 145 years.
publisher Prince Edward Island Museum
date 1979
type Document
format application/pdf
identifier vre:islemag-batch2-86
source 06
language en_US
rights Please note that this material is being presented for the sole purpose of research and private study. Any other use requires the permission of the copyright holder(s), and questions regarding copyright are the responsibility of the user.