Prince Edward Island Museum and Heritage Foundation

08_A_Light_on_the_sandhills_p_28-30.pdf

Description

View


View Document

MetaData

title A Light on the Sandhills
creator Graham, Allan
subject Island Magazine
subject Prince Edward Island Museum
description The sandhills along much of the Island's coastline have always been a barrier to vessels seeking harbour. Before good roads were built, waterways were often the main means of transport, and many communities were thus heavily dependent upon coastal navigation. South of Cascumpec Bay, the sandhills range for 18 miles. The only passage through them is about midway, an inlet called Hardy's Channel which allows ships to reach Milligan's wharf. In May of 1871, on the recommendation of the influential shipbuilder James Yeo of Port Hill, William Hardy, then 23, began to keep a light there. (It is not clear whether he had a family link with the naming of Hardy's Channel.)
publisher Prince Edward Island Museum
date 1981
type Document
format application/pdf
identifier vre:islemag-batch2-128
source 09
language en_US
rights Please note that this material is being presented for the sole purpose of research and private study. Any other use requires the permission of the copyright holder(s), and questions regarding copyright are the responsibility of the user.

Read Online

Object Details

View

MetaData

title A Light on the Sandhills
creator Graham, Allan
subject Island Magazine
subject Prince Edward Island Museum
description The sandhills along much of the Island's coastline have always been a barrier to vessels seeking harbour. Before good roads were built, waterways were often the main means of transport, and many communities were thus heavily dependent upon coastal navigation. South of Cascumpec Bay, the sandhills range for 18 miles. The only passage through them is about midway, an inlet called Hardy's Channel which allows ships to reach Milligan's wharf. In May of 1871, on the recommendation of the influential shipbuilder James Yeo of Port Hill, William Hardy, then 23, began to keep a light there. (It is not clear whether he had a family link with the naming of Hardy's Channel.)
publisher Prince Edward Island Museum
date 1981
type Document
format application/pdf
identifier vre:islemag-batch2-128
source 09
language en_US
rights Please note that this material is being presented for the sole purpose of research and private study. Any other use requires the permission of the copyright holder(s), and questions regarding copyright are the responsibility of the user.