Larry Buchanan operated a store on this site in the early 1900s.
Malcolm MacDonald bought it and operated a store there until 1928.
Daniel J. MacArthur and his brother Frank kept it going until 1937.
Daniel J. taught school - Frank was the store keeper.
Earle MacDonald continued the business from 1937 to the 1960s
Cardigan Garage was begun by Norman MacKenzie. Three sons of Norman, Willard, Donnie and Garth became mechanics. Donnie remained in Cardigan and continued at Cardigan Garage while Willard and Garth moved to Ontario. In 2011, Donnie and his son Darcy MacKenzie continue in the family business.
Blacksmiths made many useful items for a business or for a household. They created cooking utensils, lifters, hinges, door pulls, decorative works of art for the inside and for the exterior decor of the home. Horseshoes, parts of the farm implements and more for the barn area and for a business such as shipbuilding blacksmiths were very much needed.