Irish Moss harvesting is another industry that has employed many people from Tignish over the years. The Irish Moss is a plant that can be found along with ocean floor in many different areas. It grows in clumps and attaches itself to rocks, shells and wood. This is done with the Irish Moss's stem that is attached to it's colorful bushy branch.
Throughout the years Tignish has had many events that will always be remembered. These events both good and bad are what made Tignish what it is today. The following is a brief time line of major events here in Tignish:
Education is one of the most important things a community can provide for it's people. Tignish has been providing this service as early as 1801 when the first log cabin church was built. Next in 1826, when the second church was built and the children were taught in the Priest's house. Schools in St. Felix 1843, and in St. Peter & St. Paul 1855 also taught numerous people from the community.
The Silver Fox industry used to be known as one of the largest industries here in Tignish. Along with Sir Charles Dalton being the largest name known in this industry. He always had a love for the industry. Ever since he was young he could be found hunting and trapping foxes.
The fishing industry here in Tignish is one of the largest and is what keeps many families going. The fishing industry originally began way back in the year of 1845. This is the year that Frank Arsenault and Thomas J. Caie set up multiple stores in the Tignish district and they began to trade with locals.
The Tignish Sports Recreation Association officially began in the year 1963 when a group of local volunteers got together and formed the group. The group began to be in charge of providing, maintaining, and administering facilities for recreational and athletic activities for the community of Tignish and it's surrounding areas.
The Tignish Post Office is a historical icon here in Tignish. It was built because of the efforts of two great politicians known as Charles Dalton, and Dr. Patrick Charles Murphy. It was built between the years of 1911-1912 by J.M Clark for $19,000.00. It was designed in a neo-romanesquw style by David Ewart; chief architect with the Department of Public Works from 1897-1914, and it is the only building designed by him on PEI. It was declared a "National Heritage Building" in 1987.
North Cape is truly a must see when visiting Prince Edward Island. North Cape is a perfect demonstration of "nature and technology in perfect harmony." The natural beauty of the area is breath taking year round.
The Co-operative Movement in Tignish was one of the most important events that has ever happened. It is the foundation of Tignish, and what helped bring this strong community together. A co-operative is defined as a democratic form of business, that is organized, owned, and controlled by it's members.
Business members of the Tignish Co-operative movement include:
The history of the Legion began on July 17, 1919 when a meeting was held in order to form the Tignish Branch of the Great War Veterans Association. Gerald McCarthy was appointed Interm chairman and Frank Richard as secretary.
On September 24, 1919 the Provincial Command of the Great War Association formed in Charlottetown. The branch involved Charlottetown, Summerside, Alberton, Montague, O'Leary, Souris, Georgetown and Tignish. There were 800-900 members.