The Hotel Acadia
The Hotel Acadia
*J.H. Meacham & Co. 1880.
The Hotel Acadia, originally called the Lorne Hotel, was located near the current Grand Tracadie warf, on the property just above the shore facing the dunes of Blooming Point. It was built in 1872 by Messrs P. W. and F. W. Hyndman. Though it passed through several hands in 1894 it was operated by a man named Isaac C. Hall who had owned a fish plant and cannery on Robinson’s Island in the 1870’s. The large resort which could accommodate ninety-five patrons featured a natural spring, ocean bathing, a golf course, lawn and basket tennis, croquet, bowling, carriages, saddle horses, two large sail boats, several row boats, sea and river fishing, and very nice walking paths. The hotel yacht was operated by an experienced fishing captain who supplied the hotel with fresh fish daily. In 1906 the hotel advertised that they had added a new motor boat to their long list of attractions.
As evidenced by this 1905 brochure, Mr. Hall catered to a large American clientele. The brochure indicates that passage from Boston to Charlottetown by ocean liner in 1905 cost between $10.00-$14.00 and the train fare from Charlottetown to Tracadie costing $0.45. Guests would then travel by horse and carriage from Bedford station to the hotel. The room rates ranged from $2.00 per day and $8.00-$10.00 per week with special rate for children, servants, groups.
The Hotel Acadia was destroyed by fire in the early morning hours of August 16th 1906, the hotel was full that night but all guests and employees escaped without harm. Most guests lost all of their belongings and The Guardian reported that the estimated damages were between six and seven thousand dollars. To this day the spring behind the site of the old Acadia Hotel continues to bubble with fresh ground water.Link: The Hotel Acadia from: Prince Edward Island as a Summer Resort
 The Daily Examiner. The Acadia Destroyed by Fire Last Night. Thursday, August 16,1906
 Hotel Acadia. (PARO) Acc3223.