John A. Macdonald & Co.
John A. Macdonald operated a general store on these premises on Wharf Road in Cardigan where James F. Norton was doing business in the early 1900s. He carried on this business of a general store where merchandise of every description was offered to the customers. Of course, much of the business was done on credit which was very risky but that’s the way is was done. These stores around the country carried a lot of people through rough winters and bad crop years.
A warehouse was built in the 1930s with modern machinery (escalators) to carry potatoes from one level to the next and the business of storing and shipping potatoes was then carried on until the late 50s.
John A’s business manager for many years was Peter Murphy and his first and long time book keeper was Winnifred (MacLaren) Vickerson . Edna( MacPhee) MacDonald took over as book keeper in the 1940s and remained until c. 1958. Earl Macdonald and Lee Allan were partners in this business. John A’s son John A. managed the business until his death in 1961. The business is now operated as the Cardigan Lobster Suppers by John A’s grandson, John A. Macdonald.
John A. Macdonald Jr.
Mary (John Dan) MacDonald
Rose Marie MacLean
Cardigan River Heritage Center which is Located at
4537 Wharf Road