FitzPatrick's Saw Mill
Fitzpatrick’s Saw Mill at Woodville Mills was owned by a no. of people over the years, ( Poole, Goff, James,) before being run by three generations of Fitzpatricks,. John Fitzpatrick and his son Andy bought the mill from Avener James on Feb. 6, 1922. John’s sons, Andy, Louis and Maurice worked with their father and grandsons, George and John(Louis) Fitzpatrick were the last to operate the mill.
This picture shows the mill and the mill pond. To the west of the dam was a grist mill and a woolen(carding) mill. These were all powered by a various assortment of water wheels and cog gear. When a new road was put in (1950's), this removed the water supply and the mill was powered by diesel which had previously been used as back up when the water level was low.
Boards from this mill would be delivered to the buyer by horse and truck wagon. A typical trip could take all day to go from Woodville to Stewart & Beck’s in Montague by crossing on the ferry at Newport to Morrison’s Beach, then into Georgetown to cross on the ferry to Lower Montague and on up the Lower Montague Road to Montague with return by the same route.
Cardigan River Heritage Center which is Located at
4537 Wharf Road