Post-Settlement Sources

1. Clark, A.H. Three Centuries and the Island. London: Oxford University Press, 1959.

2. Holman, H.T. “Cambridge, John.” Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.

3. Blakeley, Phyllis R. “Cunard, Sir Samuel.” Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.

4. Bumstead, J.M. “Land Question, PEI,” The Canadian Encyclopedia

5. Robertson, Ian Ross. “Peters, James Horsfield.” Dictionary of Canadian Biography Online.

6. MacDonell, Margaret, ed. “Complaint about America,” In The Emigrant Experience: Songs of Highland Emigrants in North America. Toronto: University of Toronto Press, 1982.

7. Cundall, H.J. “Plan of Township No. 64- St. Andrew’s Parish, Queen’s County, P.E. Island,” 1850.

8. MacKay, James, ed. Pocket History of Scotland. Bath: Lomond Books, 2003.

9. “1811 Conveyance to Allan MacDonald” St. Margarets Pioneer Cemetery Restoration. 

10. Public Archives and Records Office of Prince Edward Island, The Cundall Diaries October 23, 1854 -June 24, 1886, September 16, 1856 Entry. ACC3473/1.

11. Francis, R.D., Richard Jones and Donald B. Smith. Journeys: A History of Canada. Toronto: Nelson Education, 2005.

12. Robertson, Ian Ross. “Political Realignment in Pre-Confederation Prince Edward Island, 1863-1870,” Acadiensis, XV (1985): 35-58. 

13. Public Archives and Records Office of Prince Edward Island, Results for Document 1881,

14. Myatt, Judy, transcriber. “1911 Census of Canada NS census.”,

15. Tuck, Robert C. “Guernsey Cove: Community of Homesteads.” Island Magazine 8 (1980): 15-20.

16. Culture and Heritage Division, PEI Department of Tourism and Culture. “Samuel Prowse House,” Canada’s Historic Places,

17. Buell, Milton interview by Reg “Dutch” Thompson, Island Voices, Tape 3, April 28, 1998,

18.  Brooks, Ray interview by Reg “Dutch” Thompson Island Voices, Tape 1, November 7, 2003,

19. Clarey, Teresa. The History of the Village of MR, 18-20. Murray River: N.P., [1988].

20. Archives Council of PEI, “Display Result for Fonds Acc2752”

21. “The Island Register Shipping Stories, Info, and Folklore” List of new vessels Registered at PEI, 1852-1859 The Island Register

22. Mathews, Jim. “Wooden Vessel Ship Construction” On Deck- The Webzine of the Navy and Marine Living History Association,

23.   deJong, Nicholas J., and Marvin E. Moore. Shipbuilding on PEI: Enterprise in a Maritime Setting 1787-1920. Hull, Quebec: Canadian Museum of Civilization, 1994.

24. Campbell, Marlene. “History of Commercial Fishing in PEI,” Wyatt Heritage Properties,

25. Selkirk, Lord Thomas Douglas. Lord Selkirk’s Diary, 1803-1804: A Journal of His Travels in British North America and the Northeastern United States. Edited by Patrick T. White. Toronto: Champlain Society, 1958.

26. Wells, Kennedy. The Fishery of Prince Edward Island. Charlottetown: Ragweed Press, 1986.

27. Hunter, Dave, transcriber, “Vessels Launched and Registered at PEI, in the Year ended 31st December, 1848,” The Island Register,

28. Davies, Daniel. From advertisement in The Islander, September 26, 1851, page 3.

29. Murray Harbour and Area Historical Society, Murray Harbour: N.P., 2008.

30. Gorveatt, Nancy. ‘’‘Polluted with Factories’- Lobster Canning on Prince Edward Island.’’ Island Magazine 57 (2005): 10-21.

31. “Rambling Notes.” The Patriot, December 7, 1878 (3). 


33. Hutchinson’s Prince Edward Island Directory, 1864. Charlottetown: Laird and Harvie, 1864.

34. Lovell, John. Lovell’s Dominion Directory, 1871, Prince Edward Island. Montreal: J Lovell, 1871. 

35. Arsenault, Sharon. ‘’Packing Lobsters at the Beach- Cannery Life on Prince Edward Island.’’ Island Magazine 60 (2006): 13-21.

36. “Fire at Murray Harbour South.” The Daily Patriot, April 20, 1891. 

37. Ducharme, Mary Anne. “The Lighthouse of Mabou Harbour,” Inverness County,

In Partnership with