A plague of mice devastates crops. This is the first of a dozen outbreaks that will be recorded over the next 90 years, though it is not known exactly when the harbour here is dubbed Souris or "mouse" by a French vessel encountering the aftermath of such an outbreak.
Rollo Bay school hires Louise Seniat, the first Acadian French speaking teacher. The school remained in operation until 1834 as a french school.
William Cooper, land agent for Lot 56 is elected as a radical reformer. His platform was to seize large estates from their mostly absentee-proprietors and grant the land to the tenants.
First school in Souris is established in Norris Pond and was taught by Edmund Shea.
St. Mary's church burns to the ground.
John Shannon delivers mail from Charlottetown to Souris in a covered carriage four days a week. He is paid a sum of $3.50 a week.
A plague of flying ants arrives on June 22 in East Point, they are in places three feet deep and just as wide. They extended along the North Shore many miles from East Point.
John McLean and Uriah Matthew open a store in Souris.
Construction is started on the Saint Mary's Convent.
American CJ Haley builds a lobster factory just under the lighthouse in Souris.
Alexander MacKenzie, Canada's second Prime Minister, was the first Prime Minister to visit Souris.
July 14th, over 1000 people attended a church picnic next door to the convent.
Fire started in Strathcona, July 12-23, and ended at Fortune Bridge, destroying thousands of acres of woods and fields and a least five homes.
First ice rink opens. It is small and relies on naturally made ice to operate. Artificial ice will not make an appearance in Souris until 71 years later.
The new Souris High serving grades 1-10 opens.
The Imperial Hotel burns to the ground. To assist in the fire fighting, Charlottetown's Silsby fire engine is shipped by rail.
William Dingwell, gradaute of the New England Institute of Anatomy, establishes Dingwell's Funeral Home in Souris.
The Souris Silver Black Fox company is formed by Dr. Gus MacDonald and Charles MacKinnon.
Over 50 whales beached themselves at Norris Pond creating a temporary economic boom. The rendered oil brings $10 gallon.
Teenagers Bernard and George Leslie shoot the last known Island black bear near the Souris Line Road.
St. Mary's Catholic Church is gutted by a fire. The stone shell is rebuilt with some modifications.
The McQuaid block is constructed on Main Street by Art McQuaid.
John McLean passes away. In addition to his business interests he served as a member of the PEI legislature, a member of Parliament in Ottawa and since 1915 as a Senator.
Dundas hosts the first plowing match.
The O'Donnell Usen fish company leased to Albert Griffin for the fish processing plant. The plant is the largest employer in the town until the fire in 1993.
Souris' worst fire destoys an entire block on Main Street.
Sterling Burke, SRHS bus recieves national attention on Jan 20th when it gets stuck in a snowstorm with 18 students and a teacher. Burke finally gets home 27 hours later.
Johnny Belinda hits the main stage of the Confederation Center, and the play sends curious tourists to the Souris area.
Dial telephone debuts in Souris. There is so much interest the circuits overload in the first week.
Basin Head Fisheries Museum is offically opened.
Matthew & McLean closes it's doors for the last time, the store reopens as Stedmans.